Published on July 29th, 2012 | by X-Dance0
Sundance, Utah (June 6, 2012) This November, the best action sports filmmakers, iconic athletes, cutting edge musicians and culture enthusiasts will descend upon Salt Lake City for the 13th annual X-Dance Action Sports Film Festival. This year’s event will run November 8-11, 2012 with screenings, concerts and party headquarters at The Depot (13 North 4th West; 801-456-2800 www.depotslc.com).
Now in its 13th year, X-Dance has established itself as the premier action sports film festival in the world. Filmmakers, musicians and athletes from around the globe make the pilgrimage to Utah as representatives of this cutting-edge culture. X-Dance has become the platform to showcase talent in film and music, elevating the action sports culture in this annual celebration of the best of the best.
Of the 100s of film submissions from all over the world, only the top 30 films will be accepted. The line-up will be announced October 8th.
For a list of accepted films please go to www.x-dance.com. All screenings are open to the public. The producers, directors and many of the top athletes will be on hand for Q&A sessions after the film screenings.
With roots in the action sports world as well as the mainstream entertainment industry, no event on earth harnesses the creative energy of adrenaline culture like the X-Dance Action Sports Film Festival.
Screenings open to the Public of top action sports films from industry stalwarts like Brain Farm, Red Bull, TGR, Sweetgrass, Sherpas, Standard Films and Jack McCoy, as well as noteworthy work by emerging talent and world premieres. Screenings run Thursday, November 8th through Sunday, November 11th and will occur at The Depot 400 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City, UT; 801.355.5522. All ages! $15 for a day pass. $35 for a 4-day pass. $25 for students. Tickets available at SMITH TIX and The Depot Box Office. For the detailed schedule go to www.x-dance.com or www.depotslc.com
HIGHLIGHTS OF PAST FESTIVALS
- US Premiere of “Bra Boys” at X-Dance 2008
- Athlete of the year award presented to Tony Hawk at X-Dance 2008
- Musical performance by Talib Kweli at X-Dance 2007
- Lifetime Achievement Award presented to Gary Fisher at X-Dance 2007
- Boost Mobile X-Dance Month on Fuel TV an entire month of programming dedicated to X-Dance on the 24/7 action sports network.
- Fuel Experiment which awarded ten filmmakers $100K each to produce an action sports film. The best director out of those ten finalists was awarded $1,000,000 towards a feature film.
- Lifetime Achievement Award presented to Bruce “Endless Summer” Brown by his son, Dana Brown, director of “Step Into Liquid” and “From Dust to Glory.”
- Special Screening of the “DC Video,” with never-seen-before footage of skateboard legend Danny Way breaking two world records on the Mega-Ramp.
- World Premieres of Tamra Davis’ feature film, “Eyes Wide Open,” and “Sofia” by Peter Goetz, about Peruvian heroine and world champion surfer, Sofia Mulanovich.
- Musical performances by Swollen Members, Sweatshop Union, P.O.D., Kinky, Paul Oakenfold, DJ Rap, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Ming & FS, Goldfinger, Tommie Sunshine, and Tre Hardson from the Pharcyde
- X-Dance Awards: Best Film 2006 won $25K toward their next production and Boost Mobile presented $10K to the 2006 Short Film winner; Scion and STA Travel gave the Best Emerging 2006 Director a free trip to New Zealand. The MySpace Award to Best Director contributed $75K towards marketing and promotion of film.
For one insane week each winter, the world’s top action sport filmmakers and athletes, along with cutting-edge bands and DJs and key figures from the entertainment industry, gather in Salt Lake City, Utah, to celebrate action sports culture at the annual X-DANCE Action Sports Film Festival. Launched in 2001 and coinciding each year with the Sundance Film Festival, X-DANCE showcases the year’s top action sport films, followed by post-screening Q&A’s with filmmakers and athletes. X-DANCE also features open forum panels with athletes, filmmakers, industry figures and icons from the action sports world, plus special screenings, privately sponsored parties and a legendary Closing Party/Awards Ceremony. With roots in both the core industry as well as the mainstream, no other event on earth harnesses the creative energy of adrenaline culture and brings it together under one roof like the X-DANCE Action Sports Film Festival.